ICIL first took place in 2008, in Corfu, Greece, funded by the European Community. ICIL was created to the benefit of the graduate course “Information law and ethics”, taught at the Ionian University, in Corfu and Athens, Greece since 2005. From a conference with twenty international speakers in 2008, ICIL is currently addressing large numbers of international speakers and participants and hosts many parallel and special sessions, simultaneously hosting other major events such as Philoweb 2014.
Since 2008 ICIL has become a major international conference dealing exclusively with the legal and ethical aspects of information, co-organized by the Ionian University (School of Information Science) and the International Society for Ethics and Information Technology (INSEIT) and morally supported by the International Center for Information Ethics, the NEXA Center for Internet and Society and the Institute for Legal Informatics (IRI).
ICIL focuses on the concept of information from a multidisciplinary point of view. Information law and ethics cover the concept of information as such and therefore, irrespective of the medium via this information is being transferred.
ICIL has instituted a Young Scholars Forum, aiming at helping young researchers presenting their work in an international conference. Also, it has hosted a series of Special Sessions, for example on Museum Ethics, Arts and Ethics, Libraries and Intellectual Capital, Bibliometrics, Law and Cryptography and others.
ICIL has published proceedings as printed volumes, distributed to all ICIL speakers and INSEIT members every year since 2009. For a list of the proceedings until today please see: http://icil.gr/2014/proceedings.
Detailed information on earlier ICILs can be accessed here:
- 8th International Conference on Information Law and Ethics Modern Intellectual Property Governance and Openness in Europe: A Long and Winding Road?
- 7th International Conference on Information Law and Ethics 2016-“Broadening the Horizons of Information Law and Ethics-A Time for inclusion”, Pretoria South Africa
- 6th International Conference on Information Law and Ethics 2014-“Lifting Barriers to Empower the Future of Information Law and Ethics”
- 5th International Conference on Information Law 2012 - “Equity, Integrity & Beauty in Information Law & Ethics”
- 4th International Conference on Information Law 2011 - “Values and Freedoms on Modern Information Law and Ethics”
- 3rd International Seminar on Information Law 2010 - “An Information Law for the 21st Century”
- 2nd International Seminar on Information Law 2009 - “A World for Information Law”
- 1st International Seminar on Information Law and Ethics 2008-The Changing Facets of Information Law and Ethics